17 January 2013

Prescription Prepayment Certificates (PPCs)

I know it's not the normal post but I thought I would do one on PPC's as last year it saved me so much money and I am so shocked that more people do not know about it!

The current price of a prescription, per item is £7.65.  I think this is kind of ridiculous especially if you were in a similar situation to which I was in last year, I was in an apprenticeship going to work all hours and only earning £100 per week but still expected to pay this ridiculous rate, for my asthma alone I get 3 different items per month and as much as it's nice to be able to breath, who needs to breathe when they can't afford to eat?

On average I would get 3 items for my asthma, 2 lots for the pain I am in, another to help me sleep,  2 more for stomach one of them being one that works alongside my pain killers and then finally my wonderful Citalopram.  This didn't even include my hay fever meds for the spring and summer.  So lets do some maths, 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 9 items in total, at a nice price of £68.85! (for winter anyway) err more than half of my wage for a week, lovely!

I moaned about it on twitter as you do ;) - someone who I cannot remember but I would like to thank over and over recommended it to me.  Turns out it only costs £104 for a years card and I am not the best at maths but I know that £68.85 x 12 is a lot more than £104...

With a 12 month card if you get 2 items a month you save £75 per year, I know it doesn't sound a lot but when you're getting 9 or more a month this really does make a difference!

You can also get 3 month cards too and although they don't save you as much money it's really not that much of a difference and easier to pay off if you can't pay out £104 in one go.

I have left a link to the site where I first inquired about getting mine.

Happy days!

(NHS website)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too, and I know the NHS are struggling for cash atm but so am I so if I want to take advantage of one of their services I will :-)

      Delete